Thursday, January 29, 2009

Il Posto Cafe


I finally made it to Il Posto, a newish neighborhood cafe at the corner of Dryades and Cadiz. It has that New York appeal that is received as a novelty down here, keeping over-priced businesses like Stein's Deli in business (why not pay 12 bucks for a delicious "Sam" of hot pastrami, swiss, and cole slaw on rye with russian dressing, when it's the only place you can find one?) At Il Posto, they toasted the H&H everything bagel for me, and spread too much cream cheese on it (I've always felt like an ass, wiping a layer off with a napkin); and they stirred the cream and sugar into my coffee (that would always bug me when I visited NY). I don't mean to talk shit, here, but instead offer some cultural perspective. Likewise, I'm sure over-priced New Orleans-themed eateries make a killing in New York.

Il Posto's product is fresh and visible, displayed around the room, from wicker baskets of shallots and beets to the three liter cans of Saica Castelvetrano Sicilian Extra Virgin (oh hi, Rachel Ray, notice I spelled it out so as not to be annoying like you) Olive Oil lining the walls.




A combination of the natural light flooding the room and the lunch-rush chatter of uptown ladies made it difficult for me to see my laptop screen or concentrate to write about them. But I'll say, from memory, that they ranged in age from 29 to 72, well-dressed and affluent, even the younger ones, adding coquetry to the Ann Taylor look with high-heel knee-high leather boots and maybe a retro cloche hat. Some were retired, stay-at-home, or on lunch break from nearby low-stress jobs. Who am I to talk, I basically act like a retired person. There were literally only two men in there, probably above 60, enjoying lunch with their wives. I wanted to see Carm and Ro in there, smiling at pictures from their Paris trip, but instead pictured them picking apart decadent pastries with their done nails, clacking in and out too conspicuous, with bigger hair and puffier peacoats.

Il Posto offers simple paninis, such as one of proscuitto, basil, and mozzarella, and elegant grilled cheeses, like the one with gorgonzola, walnuts, and honey. The cheeses all come from Prytania Street's St. James Cheese Company.

All the while, the cute young owner with a Maggie Gyllenhaal face was busy at work behind the counter, dishing out salads or kneading dough. New Orleans loves a new business. Sometimes I think all I want in life is a nice dog and a new cafe to try.

No comments: