Sunday, November 23, 2008

Hot Guys Love Sandwiches


The Oak Street Po-Boy Festival was today! Banners read "S.O.S. Save our Sandwiches," and the event was hosted by the Po-boy Preservation Society. I didn't know the Po-boy was endangered! I was so upset when I found out that I promptly drove to Oak Street and waded through the crowd, and waited in long lines to get my last bites in.

Among all the different varieties, there were no shit sandwiches present. Hallelujah, the shit sandwich must now be extinct!

Everybody was so happy! All the people, all the dogs, united sandwich-eaters. I ran into about 100 people that I know. And I had the same conversation every time. "Hi, how are you? So, what sandwiches have you tried? Well, I had the...Ok, see ya I gotta go try another sandwich."

Highlights of the day included all the good-looking boys, and the second line of folks shaking fat loaves over their heads. Bread and Circuses anybody?

I had a $2 version of Ye Olde College Inn's shrimp remoulade and fried green tomato. A friendly fireman handed me a pulled pork and slaw po-boy. But truly, I think I most enjoyed Bahn Mi Sao Mai's combo of meatballs and shredded pork with cilantro, spicy sriracha-type hot sauce, shaved carrot and cucumber.

I gazed fondly at Mahoney's peacemaker (pacemaker?), of fried oysters, bacon, and cheddar cheese, and eyed Jacques-imo's duck po-boy and Red Fish Grill's Cochon De Lait. Another time.

Leaving the festival, dehydrated and bloated in the slightly chilled air, I thought how much I am looking forward to Mardi Gras.

Click here to learn the true history of the po-boy!

No comments: