Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Gustav, WTF



Anonymous posted a comment on yesterday's post:

"I think now's the time for blogging on hurricane futures. Where would you go if NOLA flooded again? Would you ever come back? What are you thinking this week as Gustav approaches? How will you prepare? If you could loot one store what would it be?"

Right now, I'm in Boston on vacation, and as my flight back to Nola is scheduled for Sunday morning, I think I'm going to have to work out alternate plans with the airlines. Or else, kick it around here, breathing in the cool, weightless air, marveling at the sightings of slim cops on bicycles--huh?--watching Vicky Christina Barcelona every night using my friend's parents' membership passes to the local non-profit art house in walking distance--what? Maybe I'll fly out to LA, where my brother and my friends from college live; or catch up with my Dad in a hotel room in Houston; or to Phoenix with my mom.

I would never loot a store, ever, I can't even entertain the question. I'm nervous as hell and guilty, because I seem to always avoid the hellish evacuations everybody else has to endure--during Katrina, I was already up at college, beginning a drunken, irresponsible sophomore year, completely clueless as to what the fuck was going on with my city, and when I would see it or my family again.

Well, I'm bout to go by the non-profit movie house, keep up the pretenses of my vacay, although all I want to do is take pain-killers and numb myself with the weather channel's latest updates. Nobody up here will quite understand my obsessiveness, anyway...but stay tuned, because i will be using blogging as an excuse to dwell...

No comments: